Saturday, May 12, 2012

Love for a Hound

So it's been a few days since I posted because my camera is sadly broken and I haven't been able to take any  new photos. The good news is we're doing to 7 chihuahuas and I think the Doxie may have been adopted today. We've got a new 3 month pitbull that's adorable and we've got a HOUND DOG! Woot Woot! Hounds hold a special place in my heart and this particular hound has really captured me! He's beautiful to look at and he just wants to do everything he can to please whoever he's with. Unfortunately with him that translates to him being so eager to impress he'll drag you out of the kennel and don't feel like walking? No worries, I'll do all the work for you and pull you along just to please you! Hehe. He's overly friendly and I'm working on smoothing over that he jumps on you when going into the kennel and tries to follow you out but he's learning fast and he's a real doll! I think the only possible real demerit he could get is he showed a hint of toy possessiveness today. No aggression but he certainly tried to keep me away from the toy once he had it. When playing with these guys and I need to grab the toy(to throw it for them) I usually walk right up and they either back off or I put my foot on the toy so they can't take it and wait for them to step back. With this guy he'd run off when I approached the first couple of approaches then I'd put my foot on the toy and I think the first three times we did this process he'd chew the toy or try to pull it out from under my foot before he'd back away. While this in and of itself is not dangerous in some dogs, not all, it can escalate to toy/food possessive aggression so it's a thing that mostly just needs kept in check. He needs someone that will continue to pursue him and keep their foot on the toy till he backs off. Soemone to teach him to sit and make eye contact with the person, not the toy, before it's thrown. He's still in the preventative stage so I'm hoping someone who supports proper exercise and discipline will fall in love with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment