Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Staring Down Intimidation

So today was another nice day at the shelter. My camera is permanently kaputz not sure when I"ll be able to do photos again. It makes me sad. Lots of chihuahuas and such at the shelter. Specifically though we've got a German Shepherd, (purebreed?) and boy is he a big fierce looking thing! He's jet black not a fleck of white and icy blue eyes. The shape of his snout makes him look a bit wolflike and he just gives this intense feeling. I admit that when he arrived I was intimidated by him even though I'd had no interaction. I know it's not cause he's a German Shepherd because I've walked all the other previous shepherds so I guess maybe it's his striking appearance and that intensity about him. I made myself face up to it though today. I took him for a walk. He's a sweet friendly guy though at the same time I now have justifications to be kinda wary. It's nothing out right. He's not aggressive but there are behaviors that definitely need reigned in. For one he's a jumper and is timidly being mouthy. Like he wants to mouth but maybe knows he's not allowed. The real thing though is his Toy obsession.

He will zone in on the toy, especially tennis balls, and the world disappears. He's responsive to commands to sit(he drops straight to a down most of the time) but you can tell it's more rote habit than him being attentive to you. If youhave the ball and you don't throw it soon enough for him he gets anxious pacing back and forth or will even begin to circle you (very predatory move that one) and if you continue to withhold it he'll begin to whine and moan before jumping forward to try and snatch it from your hand or he'll dig/tear at the grass to get it out from under your foot. These are things that can easily escalate into worse things in a dog with such a high prey/ball drive like him. I was able to work with him on it some but not much. He needs consistent professional training. He's very intelligent and loveable but I recommend him for an owner with a lot of experience with dogs, especially strong breeds, and a home without small children. He's just too pushy(he throws his weight around to get what he wants) to be around children. I'm proud of myself for working with him today because while he does warrant caution there was no reason for actual intimidation and I've conquered that!

No comments:

Post a Comment