Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Simply Amazed

So it's only been three days of dog walking at the shelter but I must say I"m amazed. I've been using the techniques learned from watching Cesar Millan's show(oddly more effective than anything I've learned from the college course for dog obedience) and while I had no doubt about the techniques or the dogs I figured that I was too new to working with dogs(Sunday was my first dog walking experience ever) to be effective. Boy was I wrong! Most of the dogs I've walked start over excited jumping and pulling like a sled dog but by the end of the walk most are walking gently beside me with a loose leash! I can't wait until tomorrow, another day off from work, so I can spend the day with them! Now on to our Dog of the day!




He's an 8 month old Pit Bull and an absolute joy! He's lively and playful. Loves attention and eager to please. I'm still working on his basic manners as he gets over excited when you come to walk him and jumps up and pulls but after the first few minutes with heavy corrections he settles and walks nicely. He did get nervous about moving cars, bicycles, other barking dogs when being asked to walk but he was calm and curious around those stimuli when allowed to sit and observe. He gets very excited around other people cause he wants to meet them. With regular exercise and consistent instructive training he'll be a perfect well mannered boy! He is the other dog from the current shelter occupants I would gladly take home if I had a proper home for them to go to!

No comments:

Post a Comment